Sunday, July 11, 2010

Brian's Solitude - Part 5 - Monday, May 17

When I woke up this morning it looked overcast, and got me worrying that it might rain. Then I looked at the clock and saw it was only 6am, so the darkened sky was probably just because the sun hadn’t completely risen yet. I slept off and on until around 8am. It was still overcast and chilly. I got started on breakfast (strawberry crepes) and just as the butter started melting in the pan I started hearing water droplets hitting the ground! The first thing I did was put the rain canopy on the tent, just in case it got worse. So far, though, it was light enough that I went back to my breakfast.

Well, it ended up sprinkling enough to get things somewhat wet. I packed up the van as quickly as possible, saving the tent for last. Once most everything else was packed up, I started packing up my things in the tent (sleeping bag, sleeping pad, duffle bag, etc.). To my relief, as I was finishing up inside the tent, the rain ceased and blue sky emerged. Whew! I continued with the tent, and finished up camp with a good two buckets of water in the campfire plus a good stirring of the ashes. All packed up.

As I tried to get the tent back in its bag, I got the imagery of a butterfly trying to re-enter its cocoon! (except I finally managed to make it fit, whereas a butterfly wouldn’t be so lucky).

I had a little time left so I drove up to the end of the road and hiked a few hundred feet up a trail with my fishing pole and supplies. I figure I bought the fishing license so I should at least try to catch a fish! I wouldn’t eat it right away, but would probably clean it and bring it home. No luck, but had a good little hike nonetheless.

Cold Chicken Fiesta, celery and string cheese for lunch, and I’m now sitting in the car with the heater on, about to head home.

I must confess I’m torn about going home. I’m desperately eager to be with my family again, but don’t feel I got as much out of this trip spiritually as I had hoped. I finally have the whole place to myself and I have to leave. I have a 3 ½ hour drive ahead of me, so that will give me time to reflect as well, but wish I had more time to commune with God without others around. I think next time I’ll try to come up after work on Friday and come home on Tuesday.

The chief thing I feel I need to focus on right now (as I wrote yesterday) is repentance. To do that, I must seek God’s wisdom for knowing what to repent of. This trip has definitely been a time of renewal and refocus for me. I can only hope it is evident to others when I return home and that I pursue God in a more intentional way on a daily basis. I know I can’t expect to be transformed into the man I hope to be in one brief weekend, but my hope is that God honors my intentions and, over time, forms me into the Godly man He envisions me to be.

No comments: