Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Dad Honored

In my home as a child we had a cabinet above the dryer full of miscellanea (flashlights, mittens, snow hats, bug spray), and on the top-most shelf, almost too far back to reach, was a pilot's helmet. My brother and I would occasionally clamber up onto the dryer, reach back behind the knitted scarves, and pull out the helmet and take turns trying it on. I imagine now, perchance my dad was looking down at us from heaven, his heart swelled as his two boys tried on the helmet he used to wear.

My dad's ambition was to become an aeronautical engineer, pursuing a career just like any other college freshman might do. At the same time he was fostering a deepening relationship with Christ. And one day while reading the Bible and praying, he felt a divine "nudge," saying "I can use what you have to offer." Obediently, my dad followed that nudge, which led him on a path to being a pilot and airplane mechanic, serving God in Africa with his wife and growing family (of which I am the youngest).

My dad served hard, and touched a lot of people's lives, and I could write pages filled with stories I've head throughout my childhood of his adventures. Yet while in the middle of God's will, his service to God on the earth as we know it abruptly ended when his plane crashed into a mountainside. Shortly thereafter, my mom moved me and my 3 siblings to California to be with his family.

He was 38 - I was 2 1/2. I have no memories of him. How I wish I did.

Yesterday, Immanuel High School held a dinner, and at this event they had chosen four IHS graduates to be inducted into the IHS hall of fame, one of which was my dad. I was honored to attend as my mom proudly (in a good, humble way) represented my dad, and humbly accepted his recognition. I feel so privileged to have been raised by such a loving, big-hearted, steadfast single mother who cared more for her kids than herself, and to have the legacy of a father who served God faithfully - even dying in service to Him!

After the dinner I was playing with my youngest niece who recently turned 2, and it struck me tonight that she's about as old as I was when my dad died, and honestly that hit kind of hard. But then I remember just how much fun she and I were having, and it excites me to think of me and my dad laughing and playing just like that! I love that image.

So this post is in honor of my dad - I'm proud to be your son! I've worn my hero's helmet, and now I'll try to fill his shoes.

2 comments:

Moosey Mommy said...

What an awesome post! I have tears in my eyes, and wish you had memories of your dad and you together. But you have a wonderful legacy from him, and big shoes to fill!

Walt & Pat said...

What a wonderful way to honor an alumnus, especially one who died in service to God!! All of you must be so proud of him! And your mom is also a wonderful, strong person, one to be proud of as well. God bless!